Stackless/microthreads merge news

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Tue May 2 15:51:01 EDT 2000

Will Ware wrote:

> Courageous (jkraska1 at san.rr.com) wrote:
> > It's always possible if someone
> > convinces Sun of the wonders of Microthreads and shows
> > them how to make their JVM stackless. They'd benefit
> > immensely, IMO.
>
> There is a free software implementation of the JVM with available
> source code, called Kaffe, at
> http://www.transvirtual.com/products/downloads.html
> If a stackless version of Kaffe could be developed, it might be
> possible to convince Kaffe's maintainer (Tom Wilkinson, owner of
> the transvirtual.com site) to fold the changes into its official
> distribution. It would give him an advantage over Sun, so before
> too long, they might follow suit.

Hey, this is just an incredible idea.
Java with first class continuations, let that
drop through your brains. 90 percent of java threads
would be replaced by microthreads.

I will read the Kaffe source and think how this must be.

It can become quite a revolution for Java.

bye-bye-Python-I-have-no-time-for-your-for-quite-a-long-time-ly y'rs - chris