newbie python 1.5.2/Tk/WinNT install question

vogler123 at my-deja.com vogler123 at my-deja.com
Tue May 23 19:09:06 EDT 2000

Sorry to bother you all but I ran into a problem and after searching
the archives on comp.lang.python I came up empty handed.

I finally upgraded to python1.5.2/tk8.3/tcl8.3 on WinNT from python1.4.
I went ahead and built python the following projects in Visual C++ 6.0
as per instructions:

    python15
    python
    _tkinter

Everything went as planned and I tried the following:

    C>python.exe
    >>> from Tkinter import *
    >>> root = Tk()

I then got an "Application Error" dialog message stating that "The
memory could not be "read". Debugging the application resulted in the
following error message:

    "Unhandled exeption in python.exe (TK83.DLL) 0xC0000005: Access
Violation"

Does anyone out there in Python-land know what I am doing wrong?
Everything else appears to be working fine (tried out testpy.py). It
appears to be a problem with Tcl/Tk.

TIA

Bill Vogler

PS - please also respond via email also