Build questions

Patrick McGuigan wood1 at flash.net
Fri Mar 3 19:42:15 EST 2000

I am trying to get my school to install python on a DEC-ALPHA system
running Tru64 UNIX version 4.0D. I can get the interpreter to build but
I still have some questions. Unfortunately, this is the first time
working in Unix and I'm sure that I will ask some stupid questions but
here goes:

1) I want to enable the modules thread and threading. I tried to build
by first issuing the call >configure --without-gcc --with-dec-threads
when I run make I get several warnings about overwriting a definition
associated with _POSIX_THREAD. Is this normal or is there more work to
be done? ( The interpreter builds and executing make test does not
complain about testing thread.

2) Given that the above works do I need to do more about enabling the
compiler and linker flags specified in the README file? If so, where do
I set the options and for which files?

3) To enable Tkinter on the system, exactly how do I find the answers
for the items that need to be editted/enabled in Modules/Setup?

4) If I want to enable the above modules is this the correct sequence
for a build?

	a) configure --without-gcc --with-dec-threads
	b) make
	c) edit Modules/Setup
	d) make clean
	e) make
	f) make test

Any information would be greatly appreciated,

Pat