compile on aix 4.3

Tom Smith tomhs at austin.ibm.com
Tue Mar 7 11:24:51 EST 2000

It's probably a compiler license issue. When you try to compile
something
with ibmcxx (the IBM compiler) and you either don't have a license or
it's not properly configured, it spits out a message scolding you and
then waits for you to tell it to exit or continue. My guess is that
configure
does something with redirecting the output and you're not seeing the
message,
but the compiler is sitting there in the background waiting for you to
tell it what to do. I ran into this enough times and the solution was
complex enough (the License Management manual is over 300 pages long)
that
I took the easy way out and installed gcc from www.bull.de, after which
everything compiled just fine and I've been pythoning away madly ever
since.

HTH,

Tom

---

Gidon Friedman wrote:

> hi to all
>
> i get this problem with my first time installation of the latest python
> source, i'd appreciate any hint:
> -------------------------snip------------------
> # ./configure
> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking MACHDEP... aix4
> checking CCC...
> checking for --without-gcc... no
> checking for gcc... cc
> checking whether the C compiler (cc  ) works...
> ------------------and now it hangs forever----------
>
> thankx
>
> gidon

| Tom Smith						  |
| tomhs at austin.ibm.com  512-838-8842   			  |
| PSW Technologies      IBM RISC/System Graphics          |
| AIX GOS/PVT           Bldg 45, 2L-070, Austin, TX USA   |