Python tutorial/comparison for C++ programmer

John Nielsen nielsenjf at my-deja.com
Tue Mar 21 19:47:12 EST 2000

I tend to think of python as pseudo-code for C++. Check out Appendix F
in the Oreilly book: Programming Python. It does some comparison between
Python and C++.

Also, check out Bruce Eckel (founding member of the ANSI/ISO C++
committee, wrote several C++ books, etc.), he seems to _love_ python.
If you are lucky, and he has time to respond
perhaps he has some pointers for the C++ developer turned python
programmer:

http://www.bruceeckel.com/About/ContactingBE.html

Personally, I like python for win32, since python maps very nicely to
C++ (i.e. I can look at the MSDN docs in C++ and write python code).

You can easily do low level Windows programming(pipes, threads, etc.)
And of course, the important word is _easily_. It's much faster to
write win32 python and win32 C++. And, if you need it to be C++, you
can first get the basic idea working in python 1st.

Good luck,

john

--
nielsenjf at my-Deja.com