Self Nanny

Thomas A. Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sat Mar 4 12:08:19 EST 2000

see_plus_plus at my-deja.com wrote:

> What's this? Assembler or Perl? Not very readable!

It's considered rather rude to criticize the code that another
offers for free with source.  If you don't like, don't use it.
If you think it's ugly and unreadable, attach a cleaned-up version
with your criticism.  Otherwise, your post contributes little
more than venom and noise.

> In C++, you don't have to supply the 'this' all the time,
> sometimes yes.

Of course, this fact means that C++ written by untalented
programmers if often unreadable.  Have you ever been forced
to fix a class with a few 200+ line methods with scores of
local variables and dozens of data members?  In general, the
omission of "this" shouldn't be a problem, but it often is in
practice.

> This selfnanny.py is an laughable admit for awkwardness.

Odd.  I happen to like the required "self" in Python methods.
Perhaps it would be better if Python2 made self implicit in the
argument list, but that goes against the "explicit is better than
implicit" axiom of Python.

amazed-that-a-c++-programmer-calls-Python-awkward-ly yours
---Tom