Self Nanny

Lloyd Zusman ljz at asfast.com
Mon Mar 6 09:18:17 EST 2000

Gaetan Corneau <corg at copernic.com> writes:

> > Yes, I went so far as to define a macro so I could use self.* in C++.
>
> Ah, c'mon guys: having to declare self may or may not be fun, but the fact
> is that it is a gotcha for newbies, so I think self should be passed
> implicitly to methods.
>
> Remember: it's stuff like that that turns new users
> off.

Well however good or bad an idea it might be for `self' to be passed
implicitly to methods, to change Python to do this would break
probably millions of lines of existing code.

I'm not sure if you're being facetious, but in case you're not, you
always could write your own, more-newbie-friendly Python-like language
in which method invocations would be coded in this manner.  :)

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz at asfast.com