Assigning output from a simple python statement

Wilson Fletcher wilson at mclachlan.com.au
Thu Mar 16 02:14:57 EST 2000

I would like to execute an unknown python statement and store the output.

It will typically be a print statement. eg. "print 'Hello World'"

I won't know the statement until runtime becuase it will come from a
database. BUT I want to capture anything that goes to stdout and process
it.

I'm fairly new to python and the best I can come up with is:

# Assume the statement is stored in a dictionary with the key "code".

	from os import popen

	cmdDict['code'] = "print 'Hello World'"

	line = popen( "python -c "+`cmdDict['code']` ).readline()
	process( line )

Any gurus out there have better suggestions ?

thanks,
Wilson Fletcher