Python interpreter line length

Bernhard Reiter breiter at usf.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE
Tue Mar 7 06:35:52 EST 2000

In article <38C446A0.ED315A70 at be-research.ucsd.edu>,
	Curtis Jensen <cjensen at be-research.ucsd.edu> writes:
> It appears that there is a limit to the lenght of the line I can type in
> the Python interpreter.  It stops recognizing characters after about 256
> characters.  This seems like a hardwired limit.  Is there a way to
> change this?
It depends on the platform you run python from and how the
interpreter is build. AFAIK 256 looks like a DOS/Windows limitation.
I can easily enter 8000 characters with python on unix build with
readline support.

I therefore assume that there is no fixed limit in the interpreter
but in the routines that read the lines.
	Bernhard
--
Free Software Projects and Consulting 		         (intevation.net)