SPAM

Fredrik Lundh effbot at telia.com
Tue Mar 14 18:04:28 EST 2000

Grant Edwards <grant at nowhere.> wrote:
> Hormel was quite unappy when people started calling unwanted
> news postings and e-mail "spam" -- but since there wasn't any
> single person/group they could sue over the matter, they
> finally gave up.

their official statement can be found here:

    http://www.spam.com/ci/ci_in.htm

    "We do not object to use of this slang
    term to describe UCE, although we do
    object to the use of our product image
    in association with that term.

    Also, if the term is to be used, it should
    be used in all lower-case letters to
    distinguish it from our trademark SPAM,
    which should be used with all uppercase
    letters.

    Other examples of famous trademarks
    having a different slang meaning include
    MICKEY MOUSE, to describe something
    as unsophisticated; TEFLON, used to
    describe President Reagan; and CADILLAC,
    used to denote something as being high
    quality."

fwiw, spam party packs can be ordered here:

    http://www.spam.com/es/es_sp.htm

</F>