Python and Gtk cross-platform?

chris patti cpatti at atg.com
Tue Mar 7 16:10:20 EST 2000

"Brian" <nospam at noreply.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Are Python programs source code cross-platform between Linux and Win32 using
> the Gtk GUI toolkit?  In other words, using the Gtk toolkit will Python
> programs run identically without changes on both platforms?
>
> Thanks!

No.

Gtk was designed for the X window system.

There is a Win32 'port' but it's not ready for prime time yet and it's
not as simple as compiling Python for Win32 and building Gtk support.

Somebody slap me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am :)

-Chris
(Either wxWindows or Tkinter will do what you want, though)

Chris Patti \ Art Technology Group \ 617-386-1649 \ cpatti at atg.com