What If Python Replaced Elisp?

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Fri Mar 10 15:28:56 EST 2000

In article <slrn8cikie.evl.kc5tja at garnet.armored.net>,
Samuel A. Falvo II <kc5tja at garnet.armored.net> wrote:
>In article <Om9y4.1424$oN5.381668 at tw11.nn.bcandid.com>, Kragen Sitaker wrote:
>>
>>It's a problem that Lisp compilers and the SELF compiler have wrestled
>>with for a long time.  It's not insoluble, but it's not like writing a
>>FORTH compiler.
>
>What about FORTH compilers?  I don't see how Forth fits into this discussion
>at all.  Forth is an extremely static language, for all its dynamic
>features.  +, for example, will *only* produce meaningful results when fed
>integers.  As a result, it doesn't even make sense to perform type
>inferencing with Forth.  :)

I made the same mistake you did on my first reading, but a careful
reading shows that Kragen is implying that a FORTH compiler is easy.
--
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"Along the lines of getting a massage, taking a hot bubble bath, and
swimming in a pool of warm, melted chocolate, can you give me some
innovative ways that you pamper yourself?"
"Spend three hours flaming stupid people on the Net."  --Aahz