checking SHADOW passwords

Pete Shinners pete at visionart.com
Tue Mar 28 22:27:12 EST 2000

> > I'm not sure it works with shadow password.
>
> It doesn't.

urgh. well i'm guessing now i'll have to look this
up in the C libraries. if i find the library call
to make my best move is to wrap the call into a
python extension?

(whew, my little learner program is off to a BIIG start, ha)

offchance, does anyone know what C library/function i
should be looking up? man pages here i come!

actually, does anyone know if i can even get at the shadowed
passwords without ROOT access? i'm suddenly afraid all hope
is lost...

i suppose i could connect to a POP socket and test the
password there. HA! surely there is a better way.