what is easier to learn first?...

Cary O'Brien cobrien at Radix.Net
Mon Mar 27 16:36:26 EST 2000

In article <nergdsgp8vaqpugusvs5itn406crkbji7p at 4ax.com>,
Dennis Lee Bieber  <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 22 Mar 2000 04:12:04 GMT, nobody at nowhere.nohow (Grant Edwards)
>declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:
>
>> It's been a log time since I've heard much about APL.  I found
>> it unpleasant, but perhaps my APL experience was tainted by the
>> fact that I had to use it on dumb terminals attached to a
>> heavily overloaded VAX running VMS, and all of the documentation
>
>	Guess I was lucky. My college had two or three Tektronix storage
>display terminals with a true APL keyboard.

You *were* lucky.  In high school we did have an IBM 1130 (desk sized thing)
with an APL disk (disks the size of garbage can lids).  You needed to use
a special selectric typeball to get the special characters, but at least
they were engraved into the keyboard.

All was bliss (haha) until some idiot dropped and smashed the typeball.
No more APL.  Sniff.  Back to Fortran and Punchcards for us wicked children.

-- cary