(Continuous) strip chart recorders with Tkinter/PIL

Chris WRIGHT caw at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sun Mar 26 21:11:15 EST 2000

I need to produce "strip chart" type screen output for various
physiological parameters. I'm currently using Tkinter with a Canvas, a
PhotoImage and the put method on the Image and calling update() to
redicplay the canvas. This is OK, but I'd like to make it a bit faster.
I'm not sure that using PIL will help...The putpixel method is certainly
quick, but the re-draw doesn't happen when I call update...

I'd be grateful for help and advice as to how to speed this process up

Sample code: (modified from "plot single pixel" thread)

from Tkinter import *

class App:

     def __init__(self, master):

         self.frame = frame = Frame(master)
         frame.pack()
         self.button = Button(frame, text="QUIT", fg="red",command=frame.quit)
         self.button.pack(side=LEFT)
         self.test_B = Button(frame, text="Test", command=self.test)
         self.test_B.pack(side=LEFT)
         self.img = PhotoImage(height=100, width=100)
         self.canvas = Canvas(frame, width=100, height=100)
         self.canvas.create_image(0, 0, anchor=NW, image=self.img)
         self.canvas.pack()

     def test(self):
         import time
         max_x = max_y = 100