Is mxDateTime compatible with Installer

Thomas Heller thomas.heller at ion-tof.com
Wed Mar 15 15:54:55 EST 2000

[About problems with Gordon's installer and MAL's mxDateTime package]
> > The way I ended up solving it was renaming the mxDateTime directory to
> > something else, and copying the mxDateTime.pyd file to the dlls
> > directory under (pythonroot)[2].
>
> ...or if my skull starts popping rivets, I'll just put the above in
> the FAQ.
>
> > Since you know how Installer works a lot better than I do (or could
> > hope to figure out during an insanity packed day) does my solution
> > make logical sense? (I know it works, just wondering if you can
> > explain why)
>
> If it works, it must make sense :-). wxPython puts the .pyds in
> the package directory, and it is compatible with Installer. So,
> no, I don't understand why mxDateTime is a problem. Yet.

Installer cannot work with pyd or dll extensions which are part
of a package. Maybe wxPython's extensions live in the package directory
but are not really part of the package? At least mxDateTime contains
an extension like DateTime.mxDataTime.mxDateTime.

The relevant part of Builder.log is:
 ('DateTime.mxDateTime.mxDateTime',
  'c:\\work\\orion\\src\\fpanel\\python\\datetime\\mxdatetime\\mxdatetime.pyd',
  'b'),

I also stumbled over this problem and moved the extensions in my
programs out of the package. Not very satisfying.

In the past few days I hacked up installer do fix this problem for
standalone targets.
I am now able to move my extensions back into the packages again,
also I just created a standalone exe of mxDateTime's test.py script.
(I got some filename case mismatch problems until I set PYTHONCASEOK=1,
but this seems unrelated to my hack).

Gordon, if you are interested I can send you the diffs in the next few days.

Regards,

Thomas Heller