List limitations?

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Thu Mar 23 12:59:20 EST 2000

"Daley, MarkX" <markx.daley at intel.com> writes:
> 			result = crsr.fetchall()

What does fetchall() return when the result set is a single row?  Try
printing repr(result) at each step.  I'll wager that it returns a
single tuple, not a list of length 1 containing a tuple.  This means
that the 'for item in range(len(result))' winds up looping over the
individual strings in the tuple.  result[item] is therefore a string,
and 'data1, data2, data3, ... = result[item]' then unpacks the string
into single characters.  This happens because strings are also
sequences:

>>> a,b,c = 'abc'
>>> a
'a'
>>> b
'b'
>>> a,b,c = 'abcd'
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ValueError: unpack sequence of wrong size

If that's the case, you'd have to do something like this, to find when
.fetchall() hasn't returned a list, and turn it into a single-element
list yourself:

import types
	result = crsr.fetchall()
	if type( result ) != types.ListType:
	    # Didn't return a list, so it must be a single tuple
	    result = [result]

        for item in range(len(result)):

The author of the ODBC code shouldn't have written such an
inconsistent interface for fetchall(), though maybe there's some
esoteric reason for it.

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.
    -- Tallulah Bankhead