CGI and HTTP header problem

Toralf Wittner wittner at uni-duesseldorf.de
Sat Mar 11 16:54:41 EST 2000

Hi all,

the following CGI script should handle the download of an item
previously selected via HTTP formular:

> #! /usr/bin/env python
>
> import cgi
> from urllib import urlopen
>
> form = cgi.FieldStorage()
> fname = form['download_item'].value
> print "Content-type: application/x-tar\n"
> file_object = 'http://www.server.url' + fname
> print urlopen(file_object).read()

While it basically works, there is an annoying problem with the filename
the 'Save as' browser dialog suggests. It offers the name of the CGI
script rather than the name of the file one has chosen. As far as I can
see, this is a problem with the HTTP header.
I tried to add:

> print "Content-disposition: attachment; filename=%s\n" % fname

after the first 'print' statement which changes nothing. I think that
something similar should solve this problem, but I don't know how...
Maybe someone could give me a hint?

Thanks in advance,
Toralf