Splitting comp.lang.python

Mikael Olofsson mikael at isy.liu.se
Thu Mar 2 02:32:58 EST 2000

On 02-Mar-00 Neil Hodgson wrote:
 >   Mikael Olofsson writes:
 > >
 > >   c.l.py             General
 > >   c.l.py.gui         GUI
 > >   c.l.py.os          os/platform dependent issues
 > >   c.l.py.db          DataBase handling
 > >   c.l.py.advocacy    Whitespace and such
 >
 >     I think this is splitting along the wrong dimension.
 >
 >     The criterion for a good split should be "How many mails of no interest
 >  to me does it remove from the daily list"?

Well, that's exactly the criterion I've used.

 >      For me, I'd most like to remove tk messages and messages explaining how
 >  to configure emacs (not that there are really too many of those). However,
 >  like to see Win32 messages but can see that others may want to avoid them.
 >
 >      Therefore, I'd say
 >          comp.lang.python.misc    # Splitting removes top c.l.py

OK, I don't mind.

 >          comp.lang.python.tk
 >          comp.lang.python.win32

Those two would be too explicit. Postings about TK would go into c.l.py.gui
above, and win32-matters would go into c.l.py.os above. If those groups
wants to split later, then they may want something like c.l.py.gui.tk or
c.l.py.os.win, but that's ahead of time.

 >     There seems to me to be plenty of posts for these three to thrive. Maybe
 >  a comp.lang.python.unix although there may not be as much unix-specific
 >  traffic.
 >
 >      It'd be sad if we ever reached the level of unpleassantness about
 >  off-topic posts that some groups have achieved. Best to answer the question
 >  in the wrong group and suggest nicely that the off topic post would receive
 >  more response in the correct group.

I most certainly agree. The fact that we don't see each other doesn't mean
that we shouldn't be polite.

Regards,

/Mikael

E-Mail:  Mikael Olofsson <mikael at isy.liu.se>