Embedding Python in a MUD

Greg Miller gmiller at classic-games.com
Thu Mar 23 15:05:16 EST 2000

Will Ware wrote:

> Greg Miller (gmiller at classic-games.com) wrote:
> > I'm considering Python as an in-mud scripting language.
>
> > I have a few
> > questions I haven't been able to find the answers to:
> > (1) Are there any good tutorials on python embedding?
>
> http://www.python.org/doc/current/ext/ext.html

Didn't really seem to explain much.

> > (2) Can multiple python interpreters run in separate threads without
> > interfering with each other (data corruption, locking, etc)?
>
> You might be interested in a project that Christian Tismer and I have
> been working on, called Python Microthreads. We haven't officially
> released it yet, but it's easy enough to get it working on a Linux or
> Solaris box. The URL is at
> http://world.std.com/~wware/uthread.html

I'm trying to avoid any sort of explicit thread handling for
ease-of-programming, and I'm avoiding locking-based methods for
scalability reasons. I didn't look at it in too much detail, but it
didn't really seem to be what I'm looking for.

What I really need to know is, can I initialize two Python interpreters
and have them run separately without any locking occurring?
--
http://www.classic-games.com/
History does not repeat itself, but it does rhyme.