multiple interpreter sessions

Roger Dannenberg rbd at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Mar 31 11:58:49 EST 2000

Helge Hess wrote in message <38E37307.18E5CFD0 at mdlink.de>...
>I would like to have separate Python runtimes in a single server, so
>that they don't affect each other (eg for security and state reasons).

This has been discussed before. As far as I can see, there are globals in
Python that prevent truly separate instances, and (a somewhat related
issue:) locks prevent multiple threads from running the interpreter
simultaneously even if there are multiple processors.

I have implemented a new language, Serpent, based on Python, but with two
fundatmental differences: multiple Serpent instances can run in one address
space, and Serpent has a real-time garbage collector. Serpent is also
"stackless" but does not have closures and continuations as yet.

Although ports should be fairly simple, Serpent does NOT compile Python.
Serpent is a small effort and it is unlikely that it will ever have the
wealth of support and libraries available with Python.

I have not yet released Serpent, nor is it ready, but I am willing to share
the code with anyone with a serious interest, especially with anyone
interested in helping with the development.

More information is available at
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rbd/doc/aura/serpent.htm