Request for suggestions: a Workflow application

Alessandro Bottoni Alessandro.Bottoni at think3.com
Thu Mar 16 10:48:55 EST 2000

I have to write a typical workflow, e-mail-based, application and I wonder
which (Python) tools I can use.

The task is as follows:
1) I have a group (or a "sequence") of mail boxes. One of the boxes
represent the common "entry point" for all the messages coming from the
outside.
2) Associated to the "entry point" mail box, there is a script that parses
the incoming messages.
3) Depending on the content of the message, the program performs an action.
For example it send a copy of the message to someone else, maybe after
having changed it a little bit.
4) Associated to any other mail box, there is a script that process the
incoming message in a similar way.
5) The path from a box to another is defined in an external database.

I wonder:
1) Which mail server (or list server) can I use? SendMail? MailMan? ListSrv?
Majordomo? (of course, I'm able to modify a free, Python based program if
needed...)
2) Is there any program that fit this task (a wheel worth not to
reinvent...)?
3) Is there any (obscure?) Python module that can help me in writing this
program, beside the POP3 and SMTP modules?

Thanks.

Alessandro Bottoni
(Alessandro.Bottoni at Think3.com)
(alessandro.bottoni at libero.it)