Object Databases

Arnaud Fontaine arnaud at crao.net
Wed Mar 1 05:19:42 EST 2000

In article <3dk8jnd5un.fsf_-_ at amarok.cnri.reston.va.us>,
akuchlin at mems-exchange.org (Andrew M. Kuchling) wrote:

> 1) Buy an object database (Versant, Matisse, POET, etc.).

Can those odbms handle heavy load ?????????
I only have experience with O2 ... and it was 5 years ago. Well ... it
sucked. Nice concepts in O2, but not strong enough and fall under heavy
load. But that was 5 years ago.
And, once again ... I don't want to use proprietary sofware anymore
without a VERY good reason.

> > 2) ZODB.  Pro: very natural for Python users; very flexible.
> Downsides: only one database at a time; doubtful scalability once you
> start pushing lots of 5Mb images into it.

And what about scalability when using small objects and going from 200
000 objects to 2 millions ?
Any benchmark ?

Arnaud