Lisp to Python converter?

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Mar 15 08:32:34 EST 2000

Johann Hibschman <johann at physics.berkeley.edu> writes:

> I think there are a few CL to C compilers.

Gambit has an excellent Scheme to C optimizing compiler, yet one should
not seriously try to read the generated C code.  It implements the full
extent of the Scheme specification.  The C step is really meant to be a
back-end for the Scheme compiler, to guarantee its portability despite the
variance of architectures.  I used it with success in some big projects,
and in my hearth, struggle a bit against Python as my preferred language,
yet Python holds well :-).  Gambit is free for non-commercial usages.
If you are of a curious mind, it might be worth a good look.  See:

   http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/

A few months ago, I got to a Ph.D presentation of someone who implemented
for Gambit a set of new optimisation techniques (new to me, at least :-).
I already consider that Gambit has an impressive optimiser, and the said
new techniques allowed the researcher to go significantly further.  I'm
astonished and curious about all this, and asked for a copy of the thesis.
Given I find enough free time (things are slowly getting better for me,
as I'm progressively going out of many pressuring situations), I would like
to see if parts of this research could not be usefully recycled for Python.