Python 1.5.2

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Tue Mar 7 14:05:06 EST 2000

Matthew Hirsch <meh9 at cornell.edu> writes:
> Can someone please explain to me the differences between 1.5.2 and
> 1.5.1.  Is the newer version more stable?

If it wasn't, why bother releasing it?  See
http://www.python.org/1.5/NEWS-152.txt for a detailed list of changes.
None of the fixes seem to be serious enough to make Guido put a brown
paper bag on his head (he does that purely out of high spirits,
anyway), but if you're starting out with Python, why use an old
version?  You might spend hours tracking down a bug only to find it
was fixed in 1.5.2.

(On the other hand, if you have some software running on 1.5.1 that
isn't having any problems, you might decide to be paranoid and leave
well enough alone.  In that case, it's worth poring over the list of
1.5.2 fixes to be sure that none of them are bugs your software might
encounter.)

It takes all sorts to make a galaxy.
    -- The Doctor, in "Terror of the Zygons"