subprocess pipes (expect-like)?

Johann Hibschman johann at physics.berkeley.edu
Mon Mar 20 17:14:31 EST 2000

Hello,

Are there any good modules out there for controlling subprocesses
through pipes?  My needs (for now) are simple; I just need the
equivalent of popen2 with non-blocking reads.

In my searches, I've come across:

  subproc.py: seems a bit old, but looks usable
  expy      : it's expect; I don't want to have to install expect
  PIPE      : seems nice, but requires extension module

Does anyone have any suggestions over which one to prefer over the
others?

I know, I know, the official FAQ answer is "don't do that."  Well, I
wanna.  ;-) The emacs comint mode manages to do it, so there must be a
way.  Basically, I want to be able to interactively control a
mathematica process, like I'm used to doing through emacs comint, only
through a python-gtk front-end instead.

Any suggestions?

--Johann

Johann Hibschman                           johann at physics.berkeley.edu