event loops and Python?

Kragen Sitaker kragen at dnaco.net
Sat Mar 11 11:33:28 EST 2000

In article <slrn8cjb3e.ja5.kc5tja at garnet.armored.net>,
Samuel A. Falvo II <kc5tja at garnet.armored.net> wrote:
>The original author posted:
>>to be tty-based.  I want it to do background processing when it's not
>>responding to me.  And I don't like threads.
>
>Whether you like it or not, threads of some nature are going to enter the
>picture at some point, whether they're POSIX threads, state-machine
>transitions, an orchestrated set of call-back functions, or otherwise.

I don't like preemptive threads because they make my life complicated.
They're justified in some cases, but probably not in this case.

Cooperative threads that happen on input/output functions would
probably be OK, but I'd like to avoid even those.

Half of this is probably my own irrational desire to play with things a
certain way.
--
<kragen at pobox.com>       Kragen Sitaker     <http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/>
The Internet stock bubble didn't burst on 1999-11-08.  Hurrah!