Python performance

Kragen Sitaker kragen at dnaco.net
Thu Mar 9 12:45:04 EST 2000

In article <38c7a9e7 at news.xtml.co.uk>,
Nick Trout <nick at spam_offvideosystem.co.uk> wrote:
>> Note that Doom and all the Quake games have also been written without a
>> single opcode in assembler.
>
>That's not true. Most of the software renderer was written in assembler. I
>assume other bits were as well but in the main, most of the game was written in
>C. Michael Abrash write a book called "The Zen of Graphics Programming" which
>details getting the most out of an x86 processor when you're rendering. Where
>else would he get the experience to do this since he worked on Doom and Quake?!

I could be mistaken, but I thought Abrash wrote ZoGP before id hired
him, and thus before working on Doom or Quake.

You may be right about the software renderer anyway --- my statement
was from a possibly-incorrect memory of an interview with Carmack, I
think.

--
<kragen at pobox.com>       Kragen Sitaker     <http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/>
The Internet stock bubble didn't burst on 1999-11-08.  Hurrah!