Advice requested: GUI project beginning

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Fri Mar 31 05:10:09 EST 2000

Russell E. Owen <owen at astronojnk.washington.edu.invalid> wrote:
<...>
> Any comments? If I do switch, is Python development or support notably
> superior under unix or windows -- aside from OS preferences? (Please no
> OS flame wars.)

There are versions of Linux that work on your Macintosh - that way
you can easily  try it out. No need to buy a PC. If you use Unix,
you have a few extra choices: PyKDE/PyQt or PyGnome.

> What Python windowing environment do you recommend for a new project?
> wxPython? Tkinter? Java (via JPython)? (Is there anything else?). I'd
> prefer something that is easy to use and scalable.

Well, I prefer PyKDE - but that's not very portable. If portability
were an issue, I'd go for JPython - that should run everywere, although
it's no speed demon.

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.valdyas.org