Module naming conventions?

Dinu C. Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Thu Mar 23 04:48:00 EST 2000

After seeing Fred's announcement of the new documentation
package, I sniffed into the module index and was surprised
to see one being named "framework", obviously targeted only
for Macs.

Now I'm not exactly fanatical about perfection, but seeing
that module name I wonder if there weren't some sort of guide-
lines for naming modules with criteria to satisfy before gran-
ting them the attribute "standard"?

In this case naming a module "framework" is about as much a
self-explanation as the famous Italian newspaper which was
named "Il Giornale", meaning "The Newspaper". In this case
the complaint came actually from an Italian I talked to in
Florence years ago and who made a comparison with parents
naming their child "Bambino" ("Child").

Can we do something to avoid such module and package names?
Even change existing ones? A grand "module-renaming fest"?
;-) Or is this not perceived as an issue?

Admittedly, this isn't one of the most urgent ones, maybe,
but how much would we like to use standard (!) module names
like "module" or "language"? We might not need to call every-
thing "Alice", "Bob", "Medusa" and so on (which are also not
more useful by definition, but certainly more distinct), but
we should try to avoid using categories as names.

Regards,

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman
"The thing about Linux or open software in general is that