learning python cgi

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Thu Mar 23 18:35:20 EST 2000

In article <38da58b9.2761140 at nntpserver.swip.net>,
Anders Eriksson <ame at swipnet.se> wrote:
			.
>I started using Python for a couple of months ago and I went for the
>cgi directly. Now, as I have grown wise, I can say that was a mistake!
>
>Take your time learning Python first! So that you can create rather
>complex Python applications BEFORE you start with cgi.
>
>CGI depends on so many things that you will get crazy trying to make
>it do the same thing on: different OS (Unix/Windows) different web
>servers, different browser(Navigator/IE/Opera/whatever)
>
>When You 'mastered' Python you can focus on how to get CGI to work.
>There are alot of tutorials on the net (not that many using Python
>though). There is a module in Python called cgi that does alot of
>things for you (and alot of things strangely.)
>
>On the www.python.org there is a link to a tutorial on cgi...
			.
			.
			.
It doesn't have to be a mistake, starting early on
with CGI.  I quite agree that the questioner should
familiarize himself with command-line Python usage,
and that distractions--file system permissions, er-
ror-handling mistakes, ...--tend to dominate CGI
development.  However, some individuals will feel
sufficiently comfortable with Python after as short
a time as a day, and perhaps the questioner does not,
at least initially, need to juggle all the combi-
natorics typical of full-blown Web applications.

I'm sure what you wrote is true for you.  The
questioner, though, might be in a situation where
he *never* chooses to create "rather complex Py-
thon applications"; I wouldn't want him to feel
this in any way prevents him from enjoying a little
CGI work.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net