Fixing os.popen on Win32 => is the win32pipe stuff going to be adopted?

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Wed Mar 8 06:43:51 EST 2000

"Mike Fletcher" <mfletch at tpresence.com> wrote in message
news:CC59868A0A76D311B1F50090277B321C1F31A0 at VRTMAIL...
> Just reading one more post (and a FAQ) on the win32 pipe breakage
(sewage
> all over the hard-disk, traffic rerouted through the bit-bucket, you
aren't
> getting to work anytime soon Mrs. Programmer) and wondering why we
have a
> FAQ instead of having the win32pipe stuff rolled into the os module
to fix
> it.  Is there some incompatibility?  Is there a licensing problem?

I think it is more an issue of no one can be bothered.  It is a decent
chunk of code that Guido didnt write, and unless he is pressed quite
hard, he doesnt want to have to worry about maintaining it.

Im inclined to agree.  Guido may end up getting out of the business of
making installation packages, so anyone who makes distributions is
free to redistribute win32pipe.  There are no distribution issues.

Or we could do what happened with os.path.abspath recent - test for
the win32 specific module, and do our best.

in os.py, in 'nt' in names test, but after 'from nt import *':
try:
  from win32pipe import popen
except ImportError:
  pass