Newbie: req for a bit of tutorial type help.

Don Tuttle tuttledon at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 12 12:32:25 EST 2000

Hi Aesop,
Here is primes.py.    I hope the fromatting survives the system

Don

---------------snip-------------------
#! /usr/bin/env python

# Print prime numbers in a given range
def main():
    import sys
    min, max = 2, 0x7fffffff
    if sys.argv[1:]:
        min = int(eval(sys.argv[1]))
        if sys.argv[2:]:
            max = int(eval(sys.argv[2]))
    primes(min, max)

def primes(min, max):
    if 2 >= min: print 2
    primes = [2]
    i = 3
    while i <= max:
        for p in primes:
            if i%p == 0 or p*p > i: break
        if i%p <> 0:
            primes.append(i)
            if i >= min: print i
        i = i+2

main()

--------------snip------------------------

> Thanks for the quick response ;-) . I have the Win32 distribution, which
> does not contain the file you mentioned. Still very interested. know where
> can find it?
>
> TIA
>
> yours in zeros and ones.....
>

> "Moshe Zadka" <moshez at math.huji.ac.il> wrote in message
> news:Pine.GSO.4.10.10003121707240.2178-100000 at sundial...
> > For a program in Python that prints primes, look in the source
> > distribution, at the Demo/scripts/primes.py
> >
> > On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, Aesop wrote:
> >
> > > Howdy,
> > >     At risk of repeating myself, i have been using python for about 2
> days
> > > now. its been at least six years since i last looked at "C" and the
old
> > > brain has been flushed and reloaded with a lot of non programming type
> > > things ;-)
> > >
> > > Am trying to write a program to calculate prime numbers. Trying to do
> this
> > > crossword type thing that is entirely mathematical in nature and i
need
> > > list of prime numbers of 2 digits. Thinking this is a damned good
excuse
> for
> > > figuring out how to programme, again, I went off and downloaded
Python.