Python and Gtk cross-platform?

Bernhard Reiter breiter at usf.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE
Wed Mar 8 09:02:18 EST 2000

In article <Pine.LNX.4.10.10003071711430.31413-100000 at us2.mayo.edu>,
	Travis Oliphant <olipt at mayo.edu> writes:

>> > Are Python programs source code cross-platform between Linux and Win32 using
>> > the Gtk GUI toolkit?  In other words, using the Gtk toolkit will Python
>> > programs run identically without changes on both platforms?

>> No.
>> Gtk was designed for the X window system.
>>

> I don't think this is quite correct.  Gtk was designed on top of GDK so
> that it could be ported if GDK were ported.  There is a well-tested
> X-windows port of GDK, and a "beta" Win32 port.   I have not heard of a
> Mac-port, but it is potentially doable.
>
> Gtk is a cross-platform toolkit, by design, but the underlying GDK has
> only been extensively tested on X-windows.

Well this is the second design of Gtk+. It was designer for X11 first.

Anyway GTK+ is a GUI toolkit, but not a full application framework.
Therefore wxWindows it a lot more because it is a cross platform
application framework from the beginning.

	Bernhard
--
Free Software Projects and Consulting 		         (intevation.net)