Python tutorial/comparison for C++ programmer

Will Ware wware at world.std.com
Thu Mar 23 08:23:42 EST 2000

Michael Hudson (mwh21 at cam.ac.uk) wrote:
> [With regard to something like MS Python]
> why would anyone buy what you can get for free?

The cost of acquiring the software is often small, even inconsequential,
in the mind of an average user (read: non-CS-geek with a hard disk full
of Microsoft stuff). Their first concern would be, will it install itself
without any hassle? Their next concern would be, who do I call if have a
problem? Out in the world of shrink-wrapped commercial software, people
expect toll-free tech support numbers with inconsistently knowledgeable
staff. And when the tech support guy can't help them, they expect to be
able to kick the question upstairs to his manager. Very different from
our experience here, where one makes apologetic noises for clueless
newbiedom, asks a question, and often gets multiple answers illuminating
the issue from two or three distinct angles.

In the former domain, unfortunately, Microsoft has a lot of experience
and if it deemed the effort worthwhile, it probably could "win", i.e. do
real damage to Python as a useful language. Luckily, Python is not yet a
sufficiently large blip on their radar to merit that effort.