Python tutorial/comparison for C++ programmer

Tom tom-main at REMOVEME.home.com
Thu Mar 23 10:48:17 EST 2000

"Michael Hudson" <mwh21 at cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:m31z51repu.fsf at atrus.jesus.cam.ac.uk...
> wware at world.std.com (Will Ware) writes:
>
> > In the former domain, unfortunately, Microsoft has a lot of experience
> > and if it deemed the effort worthwhile, it probably could "win", i.e. do
> > real damage to Python as a useful language. Luckily, Python is not yet a
> > sufficiently large blip on their radar to merit that effort.
>
> Yes, I realised this after posting.  But I think you're being far too
> cynical; it's not like Java which threatened to form a development
> platform in competition to MS's - just what would they stand to gain
> from doing "real damage to Python as a useful language".  It's not
> like I support MS or use any of their products (hmm, except my
> keyboard and my mouse...), but I don't believe they are actually evil.

Wrong.  They are evil (and I'm a Win32/MFC programmer).
But then again, so is Sun, and Nestle, and a number of other corps.

That's why I'm thinking of learning Python and wxWindows.  Hopefully I'll
sleep better at night.

Tom.