Newbie: Can Python replace unix scripts ?

Remco Gerlich scarblac-spamtrap at pino.selwerd.nl
Mon Mar 20 06:00:17 EST 2000

Thanh Nguyen wrote in comp.lang.python:
> I am from the win32 world and about to do some unix programming.
> I am scared stiff of the csh scripts because they are in my point of view,
> unreadable.
>
> Can Python spare me of that csh scripting ?

Avoid csh. It has some big problems[1]. Then, it's very useful to know some
Bash, since it can be extremely powerful if you just need a few lines, or
just one complicated command line.

For everything bigger than a few lines, use Python.

[1] http://www.perl.com/pub/language/versus/csh.html
    Heh, funny using that URL here.
Remco Gerlich,  scarblac at pino.selwerd.nl
"This gubblick contains many nonsklarkish English flutzpahs, but the
 overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context"  (David Moser)