"Could not find platform dependent libraries" message

Steve Holden sholden at bellatlantic.net
Wed Mar 15 18:16:52 EST 2000

Stephen Boulet wrote:

> When I try executing this program, I get the message:
>
>    #!/opt/python/bin/python
>
>    print "Hello, Python!"
>
> gives:
>
>    Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
>    Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
>    Hello, Python!
>
> My $PYTHONHOME bash variable is /opt/python. The python executable is in
> /opt/python/bin/python.
>
> What am I doing wrong here?
>
> -- Stephen

Not sure what the problem might be, looks to be something
to do with the way it's installed.  You would get more
information from

   python -v script-name

or even just

   python -v

This will tell you if the error is occurring in automatically-
executed module code before the interpreter gets around to your
script.

regards
 Steve

--
"If computing ever stops being fun, I'll stop doing it"