Problem compiling Python 1.5.2 w/Tkinter on Linux

Joshua Macy amused at webamused.com
Sun Mar 19 12:40:43 EST 2000

 I'm trying to compile Python 1.5.2 on my Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 box
(kernel 2.2.5), and make has the following complaint:

gcc  -Xlinker -export-dynamic python.o \
	  ../libpython1.5.a -L/usr/lib -ltk8.0 -ltcl8.0 -L/usr/X11R6/lib
-lX11        -ldl  -lm  -o python
/usr/i386-linux/bin/ld: cannot open -lX11: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [link] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/Python-1.5.2/Modules'
make: *** [python] Error 2

This is after I've uncommented the lines in Modules/Setup to enable
Tkinter.  As far as I understand it, the problem is that X11 is not the
actual name of the X library the linker is looking for, but as a newbie
to Linux, gcc, and X, I've no idea how to determine what the name that
it's looking for is.  (Assuming, that is, that I've even diagnosed the
problem correctly.)

This is the first time I'm wrestling with recompiling Python from
source, since up to now the version that came installed w/Caldera 2.2
(v1.5.1) has been adequate. I'm told, though, that some of the XML stuff
in particular relies on 1.5.2

Any insights into getting this to work would be appreciated mightily.

Joshua