Language forks (was: Python tutorial/comparison for C++ programmer)

Steve Holden sholden at bellatlantic.net
Mon Mar 27 12:55:00 EST 2000

In Microsoft's defense (what, me? this must be my good deed for
the week) we should remember that they DO have occasional good
ideas such as ODBC.  I'm aware it has shortcomings, but it's
made multi-platform database systems a practical reality.

And, of course, mxODBC (among others) brings these benefits
to the Python world too.

The thing that freaks me about Microsoft is the bringing to
market of products that were clearly designed by people (?)
with minimal industry experience, full of kluges and not at
all orthogonal in design.  Then they were implemented by a
further bunch of fresh graduates.  And instead of writing these
deviations off as bad idea Microsoft actually DEFENDS them.

Just goes to show how difficult it is to find and retain good
staff, I suppose.

How unlike the recent "Multi-argument append() was a bad
idea, so it's being removed" decision.

regards
 Steve

--
"If computing ever stops being fun, I'll stop doing it"