Python 1.6 alpha 1 released

Bjorn Pettersen bjorn at roguewave.com
Fri Mar 31 17:30:46 EST 2000

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Bjorn Pettersen <bjorn at roguewave.com> wrote:
> > Just read the announcement page, and found that socket.connect() no
> > longer takes two arguments as was previously documented.
>
> note that the actual reference page says that connect takes
> just one argument, and it has done so since at least 1.4.

The reference page says connect takes address (in italics), and goes
onto explain what it _can_ be.  I took the example to be part of the
documentation, and specifically explaining how to use connect with the
example's socket type.

> > A quick look shows that this breaks all the network scripts I have
> > installed (at least the ones that I found, undoubtedly there are many
> > more).  Because of this I will put any upgrade plans on hold.
>
> were you really planning to *upgrade* to a rough alpha?
>
> </F>

Of course not.  And now I'm not planning to upgrade to 1.6 final either
(which would be in about two months according to the web page). It looks
like the only significant new feature is Unicode strings, and while it's
a great addition to the language, it's not somehting I need so I can
afford to hold off.

-b