Python performance

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Tue Mar 7 18:22:53 EST 2000

In article <m3ln3u8moq.fsf at atrus.jesus.cam.ac.uk>,
Michael Hudson  <mwh21 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
			.
>Well, it's for a computational project so I suspect the university
>authorities would take a dim view of me spreading it too far and wide
I think we're again divided by a common language.
Your university does *not* want a summary project
write-up distributed "far and wide"?  That sur-
prises me.  What I have in mind is something on
the order of,
  In this paper we describe use of the
  Haskell computing language as an
  aide to deriving certain results in
  the arithmetic of elliptic curves.
  We found Haskell to be ...
			.
			.
			.
>Elliptic curve stuff (computing the size of the E(k) for an elliptic
>curve E and finite field k).  Fairly hairy (I believe I'm at about the
>only university in the world where we do this kind of thing as
>undergraduates).
Yeah, sure, but how many convicted felons does your
university rehabilitate as semiprofessional athletes?

More seriously:  elliptic curves remain on a growth
curve, institutionally speaking; Cambridge might be
the first, but I doubt it'll be the last.
			.
			.
			.
--