Embedding Python in a MUD

Greg Miller gmiller at classic-games.com
Thu Mar 23 16:00:11 EST 2000

Phillip Lenhardt wrote:
> Might I suggest checking out Moebius?
>
> Features:
>
>         * Written in Python: almost everything is runtime-modifiable.

And it provides appropriate multiuser security?

>         * SQL database backend.

Yuck. Historically, people who've tried this with muds have reported
poor performance in exchange for almost no benefit. SQL is nice for its
intended purposes, but not so well suited for muds.

>         * Very dynamic: both data and code come from the database.
>         * No save/load issues.

I take it you mean its fully persistent across reboots and crashes?

>         * Threaded.
>         * Player scripting in Python.

Does it expose synchronization primitives to users?
--
http://www.classic-games.com/
History does not repeat itself, but it does rhyme.