[] vs. ()

Tom Culliton culliton at clark.net
Tue Mar 14 09:44:13 EST 2000

You're missing the critical mutable/immutable distinction.  Tuples can
be used as dictionary keys since they are immutable.  They can also be
used to get pass by value semantics (even though values are actually
always passed by reference) when calling functions since you know that
they can't be modified by the called function.  Not to mention that
they're somewhat more efficient.  It seems like I'm forgetting another
use for their immutablility, but thats already more than enough
rationale for their existance.