Pointers

Richard Jones Richard.Jones at fulcrum.com.au
Thu Mar 16 19:22:49 EST 2000

[Curtis Jensen]
> I need a slightly different twist now.  Somthing like:

> 0
> 10

   You are asking far too much of the standard dictionary type :)

   You'll either need to use one of the hacks described by other posters which
involves using a mutable proxy entry for the dictionary items - such as a list
or an instance or a proxy class of your own rolling. The other option that's
immediately obvious to me is for you to extend the dictionary class (via
UserDict) to provide the semantics you're after.

   Actually, the proxy class is a kinda neat idea and was hinted at by another
poster (though I've lost that post now):

>>> class Pointer:
...  def __init__(self, dict, item):
...   self.dict = dict
...   self.item = item
...  def __getattr__(self, attr):
...   if attr == 'value':
...    return self.dict[self.item]
...   raise AttributeError, attr
...  def __setattr__(self, attr, value):
...   if attr == 'value':
...    self.dict[self.item] = value
...   else:
..    self.__dict__[attr] = value
>>> d = {'A':0,'B':0}
>>> a = {'A': Pointer(d, 'A')}
>>> print a['A']
<__main__.Pointer instance at 80d8e60>
>>> print a['A'].value
0
>>> d['A'] = 10
>>> print a['A'].value
10
>>> a['A'].value = 20
>>> print d['A']
20

    At this point, I'd be taking a serious look at your actual requirements and
debating whether builtin dictionaries are really what you want to be using.
You've got complete freedom to create any type of class you need - don't limit
your thinking by sticking to the builtin types!

        Richard