__getattr__ / __setattr__ - infinite recursion!?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Mar 28 18:00:29 EST 2000

"Warren Postma" <embed at geocities.com> wrote in message
news:0yMD4.624$HG1.20784 at nnrp1.uunet.ca...

> Okay my first attempt at a "static type checking object" for Python blows
> up, probably
> a stack overflow, probably due to infinite recursion or some such
thing....

Yes.  Within __setattr__(), you should use explicit references to
self.__dict__[attribute]
instead of self.attribute, which may lead to recursive calls to
__setatttr__.  Probably ditto for __getattr__.

> # "type objects"
> int_type       = type(0)
> string_type    = type("X")
> float_type     = type(0.1)

You can also use 'type' module ('import type' or 'from type import *'),
which supplies IntType, etc, including some types that most people would
have difficulty creating innocuous instances of.

>     def keyname(self):
>         return self.keyname

self.keyname will always directly reference the attribute (fine by me)
instead of this 'get' method.

Terry J. Reedy