Forth like interpreter

Darrell darrell at dorb.com
Sun Mar 12 11:02:24 EST 2000

"Will Ware" wrote.

> Isn't it fun? I've written them in assembly language for 6809
> and a Texas Instruments DSP, and one or two in C, and here's
> one in Java (source included):
> http://world.std.com/~wware/agj/ag.html

Nothing like graphics and a cool subject to really impress! Wonder if Forth
interpreters are like one of the first software life forms to take hold in
new environments?

The slowest one I ever wrote ran in Dbase2.

> Too much of this, and you'll start appreciating just how nice
> it is to have a reasonably smart compiler around (like the one
> in Python).
Something like "Why jump out of a perfectly good airplane" ?

It's interesting to think about Stackless Python and Forth.
I think Forth hackers have be dealing with continuations for years. Task
schedulers swap out the (dataStack, returnStack, pc) and you have threads.
Want a continuation, make a copy of these data structures and save them.

--Darrell