C++ / Java / Python (was Status of C++)

see_plus_plus at my-deja.com see_plus_plus at my-deja.com
Fri Mar 3 05:13:48 EST 2000

Another voice about the truth of C++, bravo!
In fact even Larry Wall acknowledged in his Onion speech that in the end
C++ will win!
For non critical & low performance applications any of these
Perl/Tcl/Python is good enough, but for real industrial strength
applications, C++ is first choice.

cpp

In article <38bf4389.272576531 at news.mindspring.com>,
  dickjoe_nospam_ at mindspring.com wrote:
> [...]
> software. Have you heard of ATT/Bell Labs? Have you heard
> of Bjarne Stroustrup? You may want to inform him that his skills
> are antiquated and he better brush up on his Java if he wants
> to be competitive in the industry, whatever industry it is you are
> referring to.
>
> I call the kind of programming you are referring to
> "client-side" or "applet" or "plugin" programming. Don't attempt to
> write e.g. PhotoShop in Java. Don't attempt to write a web server in
> java. Don't expect java to work well in next-gen architectures.
> C++ does not have these problems.
>
> Java is NOT an alternative to C++.
> Python IS an alternative to Java (except for lack of browser support)
> Lisp (its myriad flavors) has it adherents and there are lots
> of other languages as well that all have their advantages and
> drawbacks. I am not interested in language flame wars
> and I am always suspicious of the "over-sell" and the
> "marketing-driven" solutions, as well as anything which
> is not standardized and made public-domain.
> I do not like the idea of having to wait for Sun to fix (one of the
> many) fatal flaws, or to get around to writing a VM for a new
> platform. I have read that a port of the python system to a 64-bit
> architecture took a single afternoon.
> That is not to say that Java may not win out over Python and others,
> much like MS-DOS won out over CPM.
>
> If you want to program your palm pilot use Python, not Java (in my
> opinion). If you want to target serious "new" development become a C++
> whiz. Participate in free software projects. Get linux, apache, gcc,
> etc. Read code until the room swims. And yes, you may need to
> settle for less to get years of  "real-world" C++ experience before
> you can land the sweet "all-new, all-C++" projects.
>
> Good luck!
>
> On 22 Jan 2000 05:08:27 -0500, "Gaurav Sareen" <neerasg at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I dont want to start a meaningless debate but want to simply know
where C++
> >stands in the industry.
> >
> >As far as I am told, most companies are using Java for application
level
> >programming while plain old C for system level programming; C++ is
more or
> >less extinct. There is still some C++ work going on on old projects
due to
> >inertia but very few people favor C++ for new work.
> >
> >What I am concerned with is that C++ would be relegated to the COBOL
level,
> >with lot of maintenance, migration to do but with very little new
> >development. A programmer like me who is intermediate in C++ but zero
in
> >Java can only hope to work on such maintenance etc.
> >
> >Here of course I am not interested in knowing whether C++ is better
than
> >Java but whether I have at least equal career oppurtunity as any good
Java
> >programmer or not.
> >

> >      [ Send an empty e-mail to c++-help at netlab.cs.rpi.edu for info ]
> >      [ about comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: do this! ]

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.