JPython vs. Javascript?

Chris Ryland cpr at emsoftware.com
Mon Mar 27 09:13:58 EST 2000

I think you're conflating Javascript with Java. They're completely different
beasts.

Javascript is most often used embedded in web pages to do client-related
(DHTML) work (what it sounds like you want to do), usually mucking with the
HTML of a given page dynamically. Javascript (in this case) is built in to
the browser, and (in modern browsers, e.g., IE 4/5, NS 4) can be used to do
some fairly complex things.

Java applets (and thus JPython applets) usually run in a little "visual
sandbox" (to say nothing of their file system sandbox), i.e., a rectangular
portion of a web page. They can't really do the kinds of things that
Javascript scripts can do, in terms of augmenting the overall UI of a web
page.

--
Cheers!
/ Chris Ryland, President / Em Software, Inc. / www.emsoftware.com