Python advocacy

Neel Krishnaswami neelk at brick.cswv.com
Sat Mar 4 17:53:43 EST 2000

Quinn Dunkan <quinn at mono.ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Mar 2000 00:37:06 -0500, Bijan Parsia <bparsia at email.unc.edu>
> wrote:
> >And poor Dylan, which sold it's soul to mixfix only to be doomed to
> >obscurity, in the general world, and scorn from its progeniters.
>
> I don't quite understand... gwydion dylan seems to be moving along,
> and ex-harlequin dylan enjoys a company (functional objects) focused
> around its improvement.

I'm having fun with Dylan, at any rate, and expect to continue using
it for a long time to come.

> Guess it would help if I knew what mixfix was...

Not really; he just means Algolish (Algolic? Algolaceous?) syntax,
like so:

  define method fact(n :: <integer>) => (result :: <integer>)
    if (n = 0)
      1
    else
      n * fact(n - 1)
    end if;
  end method fact;

rather than Lispy fully-parenthesized syntax.

Neel